Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Central Oregon

It was cold last night! I thought that after camping in 30 degree temperatures in Yellowstone that the mid 50's would have felt like a heat wave...not so much!

We had to buy a new tent today. The one we bought at Gander Mountain just didn't cut it. After six nights of camping one of the poles split. So off to Cabelas in Boise, ID we went and out we came with a smaller more expensive tent...go figure!

Scott and I were actually excited to see Boise but when we got there we didn't even head into town. It just wasn't what we had expected.

Well Central Oregon, I never realized you existed!

I was really nervous after Boise, both Scott and I thought that Bend would have a similar landscape, but it wasn't even close. About 30 miles outside of town the backdrop had three snow covered peaks. They gave me the chills! About 10 miles out of town we headed into piƱon and high desert forests, and upon getting into town, wow, Scott and I were thrilled with what we saw; pine trees, flowers, grass, you name it. Believe me, after driving about a day in high desert sage brush, this was heaven!

We went straight to a National Forest office to get information on the forests. We pretty much just drove through town today, but both Scott and I had a feeling that this could be the place where we decide to settle.

Bend a town of about 80,000, so it isn't tiny or huge but essentially has everything you need, from Whole Foods to Safeway. The biggest draw for us to this town is the mild climate and every outdoor activity that you can imagine, in addition to easy access to the coast! I mean really, does life get any better?

We decided to head up to the campground early tonight to get settled in. We had another camp fire and I'm finally breaking down and making s'more. I've done good up until this point and haven't made any, apparently I'm at my breaking point and just need one!

By the way, we love the new tent. It's a different set-up than what we've ever had but I think it will definitely work.


Location:Bend, OR

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds exciting wonderful different & liveable! So I lookedit up! Mandy is right in her description! So we will definitely keep Bend OR on our radar for future visits! Sounds like a great rugged tent! What kind is it? Time to depart Chicago! (Uncle Philip-TrucknPhil-BoomBoom)

    ReplyDelete