Sunday, August 21, 2011

North Cascades National Park

Moss covered branches.
We drove up to the North Cascades National Park today in Northwestern Washington.  It wasn't a long drive, but long enough for me to take a nap!  It was perfect because by the time I woke up we had arrived. 

We went into the Visitor's Center to inquire about a good moderately/strenous hike.  As Scott was talking to the ranger, we found out that there was a trail that had a moose which had been spotted many times recently.   Wahoo!!  The Moose hunt was on again.  Nothing like really waking me up by saying there's a chance to see a moose again. 

Thunder Creek
The trail ended up being awesome!!  Exactly what I imagined hiking in a forest in the Northwest would be like.  Moss covered everything from trees to rocks and the ground.  We saw every shade of green possible, it was beautiful.  I felt like everything in the forest was supersized; the leafs on plants were huge and the trees even bigger.  I thought it felt like I was in the movie Jurassic Park and the forest reminded Scott of Robin Hood (although I think he's crazy, it was like Jurassic Park!  LOL) (Thunder Creek/4th of July)










Moss covered everything!
The trail followed an aqua blue creek, which seemed more like a river.  We ended up hiking about three hours and didn't spot the moose, but that was okay with me.  The trail was the best that we've hiked since the beginning of this trip.  The first couple miles of the trail was gently rolling and then we decided to take another trail that went up the side of a mountain.  It was a push and we were sweating like pigs, but it was beautiful.  We had to cross creeks, climb over rocks and roots, and it was awesome.  We only passed a handful of people so it felt like we were the only ones in the forest, it was exactly what we were looking for.

Sweating like pigs!
By far, the North Cascades has been my favorite park that we've visited.  What attracts me most to this park is the seclusiveness of it.  I think because of the remoteness of this park, it doesn't attrack the visitors like some of the other's that we've been too.  I loved how we hiked for three hours and only saw a few people.  Even as we stopped at different view points while driving in the truck the viewpoints didn't have people.

Also, we got a second day of sunshine, what a treat!  We were both expecting clouds the whole time in Washington and we've gotten sun.  We have lots to be thankful for. 

Of course, when we got back to the hotel we hit the hot tub right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment