Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jackson Wyoming

Today we decided to head to Jackson to see a cousin of mine and his family. The drive from our campsite to Jackson was great and we got to go through Grand Teton National Park. We drove through mountains, forests, and grasslands where huge granite snow covered mountains were the backdrop. Both Scott and I were in awe with the beauty.

Mountain Biking in Jackson
We got to Jackson and hooked up with my cousin Todd for a little while before heading out to an awesome single track trail. I have to give props to Fitzgerald's Bicycles in Jackson, WY for recommending the trail. The trail was exactly what we wanted, smooth and fast single track through pine, birch, and huge wildflower meadows. The weather was also perfect for a bike ride, mid 70's. We couldn't have planned the ride better.  (Cache Creek/Putt-Putt Trails)




After the ride we went over to my cousins house and visited with them for awhile. It was great seeing Todd, Jennifer, the kids, and Todd's mom Nancy. It's funny we went probably 15 years without seeing each other and now we've seen each other twice in a year and a half.

The drive was uneventful from Jackson back to our camp. We tried as hard as we could to spot a moose; we've been told that there's a better chance to see one in Grand Teton National Forest over Yellowstone. Unfortunately we didn't spot one. We took several dirt roads off the main highway on our way back to camp hoping to spot something. It was fun taking the dirt roads because of the exclusiveness. We did see a buck with a huge set of velvet antlers and that's about it. Hopefully tomorrow we have a little more luck. The parks are pretty busy right now so it was nice to be in an area where there weren't a ton of people and cars around.

Both Scott and I got a little cold last night so we're bundling up tonight. Looks like I'll be wearing wool socks and hat (that I knitted), long underwear, fleece pants, tee shirt, long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. This is all in addition to my sleeping bag and two additional blankets. If I don't stay warm tonight than there's nothing that's going to help me. Scott will probably wear half of what I have on and will be just fine. I guess we'll see tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful my kind of trip!! Not Aunt Cindees!! She'd stay in the hotel & I would be in the tent!! Watch out for the moose they do more than grunt like the Buffalo! (Uncle Philip-TrucknPhil-BoomBoom)

    ReplyDelete